Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Columbia Gorge-ous!

View from the top!
Trees at and mist at Angel's Rest
Wahclella Falls
Stones in the River
(below) Angel's Rest as seen from a viewing tower
Well, you have to indulge me posting quite a few pictures this week! On Sunday, I headed to Columbia Gorge, a beautiful spot 30 minutes east of Portland with tons of hiking trails. At the suggestion of Steve, my tourguide, I hiked Wahclella falls, an easy 1 mile hike to an amazing cascade of water known as the falls! It was again...incredibly green and lush. I even stopped for a picnic lunch by the river nearby to read and eat for awhile.

After this short jaunt, I decided to hit the second suggested stop. However, I had read too many guidebooks and got confused! I intended to do another short hike full of waterfalls, but ended up doing a 4 mile round trip hike up a very steep mountain! The view was amazing (the bottom picture is actually of the mountain from a roadside viewpoint.) I was almost hiking in the clouds as they wafted in and out that day. It was drizzly but it felt good! My knees may not forgive me any time soon, but it was a great hike.

No comments: